Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:20:05 +0200

chad <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jul 31, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> As for the server, isn't that what Freedombox is for?
>
> Freedombox looks (to me) like it's more about open, secure, private
> communications infrastructure, rather than Free compute servers.  There is
> some overlap, and maybe there are plans to expand Freedombox, but as an
> example, Freedombox would be aimed more at making sure users aren't trapped
> in gmail, yahoo, facebook, and twitter, while Joakim is talking about making
> sure users and developers aren't trapped in Google App Engine or Amazon Web
> Services.
>
> As computing usage moves out of the office and onto mobile devices, quite a
> lot of desired computing activity is moving into free-not-Free and cheap
> network services that are (currently) opaque and encumbered. For many of
> these services, the source code is open, but the service itself is closed,
> ala TiVo-ization. Quite often, developers use these services (Google or
> Amazon) simply because the Free alternatives either don't exist or are much
> more costly (in time and money).

I haven't studied Freedombox in detail. Maybe I can work with the
Freedombox image as a base to provide the services Chad clarifies above.

But the main difference between my goal and FreedomBox seems to be that
I want to provide configuration descriptions for all nodes of a network
of computers and other systems that collaborate at all times. Thats why I
used the term "Cluster".

So, AFAICS FreedomBox does not provide a configuration description for
an OS image that runs on phone hardware, that will rely on a
corresponding image that runs on a server, basically an old school
client-server configuration.

This way I think free software can provide an overall system provididng
the same services as the non-free alternatives with less effort than
providing separate projects that work together only after substantial
configuration.

Anyway, I hope this makes the goal clearer.

[BTW It might seem that this topic is completely OT for this list, but
many of us phone os hackers seem to share the goal of running Emacs
usefully on a phone]

--
Joakim Verona