Re: Refactoring in Emacs : CEDET

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Refactoring in Emacs : CEDET
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 07:41:24 -0400

On 08/01/2012 12:14 AM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
On 07/31/2012 10:06 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

IIUC real refactoring of C should imply preprocessing and full
syntactic analysis

Why is that? Can you give a couple of examples?

Hi,

  I missed earlier parts of this thread, so am replying a bit late.

In CEDET, the function 'semantic-symref-symbol' uses the C parser built into semantic, plus external tools like GNU Global, or just plain grep to find symbols. The list buffer that shows all the hits is also a refactoring mode. You can select which hits are correct, and do mass renames. It also has a fancy way to create a keyboard macro that it will apply to all the hits.

I'm describing the state of things in the CEDET bzr repository. I don't recall what state this mode was in when CEDET was last merged into Emacs. The symref functions certainly has some limitations as it tends to stick to symbols defined by the user, and the code to handle polymorphism hasn't been written yet, but those could be overcome if there was sufficient interest.

Eric