Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIEL

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIELD between buffers, keyboards and frames.
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 07:58:58 -0700

On 08/01/2012 05:04 AM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
> I'm really trying to design some GC bits on top of this.

OK, but why bother to do the hugely overestimated
write barrier that FVAR implies?  Surely that is not
what is wanted here, for the garbage collector.  As I
understand it, what's really wanted for the GC is SET_FVAR.
FVAR itself might be useful in that it can be forced
to be an rvalue so that code doesn't use FVAR (...) = VAL
by mistake, but surely that is secondary.

Stefan's point also, is that it'll be easy enough to
introduce SET_FVAR when the GC bits are ready,
and that there's no pressing need to introduce it now.

While we're on the topic, the code is currently sloppy
about using ASET; sometimes it uses 'AREF (a, b) = c'
rather than 'ASET (a, b, c)'.  I suppose this will
need fixing too.  It probably should be fixed regardless
of any GC changes.