Re: Objects layout and tagging scheme

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Objects layout and tagging scheme
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:09:21 -0700

On 08/02/2012 09:10 AM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
> vectors and string are affected. So I would like to raise the following
> question: if I need, for example, 2 extra bits for each object, where to get
> them?

For strings, 3 bits are free in the pointers to intervals,
if we can assume intervals are aligned like other lisp
objects, which should be possible to arrange.

For vectors the same trick could be played, with next.buffer
and next.vector.   Presumably we can think of a similar way
to do it with next.nbytes, since nbytes is limited.