Re: Objects layout and tagging scheme

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Objects layout and tagging scheme
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 05:49:15 -0400

> So I would like to raise the following question: if I need, for
> example, 2 extra bits for each object, where to get them?

For most object types, it's not too hard to make room for 2 extra bits.
The only real hard ones are conses and floats.

Of course, you can simply extend their current bitmaps which store one
extra bit per cons (and per float) to store 3 extra bits instead of 1.

But depending on the specific use (e.g. how often is it accessed,
whether it can be approximated or shared between objects, ...), it might
be a bad idea, and there might be a better option.

        Stefan