Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 19:06:45 +0900

> Using Emacs on a nonfree system is bad, but nothing new.  Turning
> Emacs into an extension for a nonfree browser would be a big change
> for the worse.  We will try to prevent that.

Wait ... "nonfree browser" ... you mean chrome?

My understanding was that although binary distributed by google wasn't
free, because it includes various bells and whistles implemented with
non-free libraries (e.g. video decoding ...?), the guts of the browser
_is_ actually free software, and a completely free version of it
exists ("chromium", which is in debian) which simply omits the
non-free bells and whistles.  I've tried both, and didn't notice any
obvious difference between them, so I'm not really sure what exactly
the bells-and-whistles consists of...

I don't know how the difference between the free and non-free versions
affects plugins though...

-miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.