Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIEL

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109327: Generalize INTERNAL_FIELD between buffers, keyboards and frames.
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:31:50 -0400

>> I want the C part of Emacs to look like C code.  So, if the
>> structure-field access does not require extra machinery (i.e. no read
>> barrier), I want to write it "foo->bar".
> I (and I hope all others) too. But we do AREF and ASET for vectors,
> thinking about that vector implementation may be changed so direct access
> to 'contents' becomes invalid or nonsense.

No, AREF is just convenience a macro (from where I stand), like
XCAR/XCDR.

> Development (and politics) is the art of the possible, and we have those
> tools which are. I investigated this area, and I believe that coccinelle
> is good enough to be used in our work; finally, I don't see the practical
> reasons to wait until someone develops a wunderwaffe like GCC plugin
> for automatic barrier insertion on any critical pointer stores.

I'm not sure whether you're saying that Coccinelle is good enough to
solve the problem I want solved (i.e. like me write "foo->bar" and turn
it into "RVALUE_FIELD (foo, bar)" when I need to check correct insertion
of write barriers).
If it is, that's great.

        Stefan