RE: Marking old window variables obsolete

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Marking old window variables obsolete
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:10:47 -0700

> > FWIW and for the record, I disagree with _all_ of that proposal.
> > Please do not do this.  There should be _no_ hurry to do anything
> > of the sort.  Why can't you wait a few releases - or more - for
> > all of the above?
>
> Deprecation does not mean removal.  I'm sure you know that.

Of course.  No one suggested otherwise.

My request is first that we do not deprecate these user options _now_.

And second, preferably, that we do not deprecate them at all (i.e., even later),
but we instead keep them as an alternative, simpler way to do some (most?) of
what the new "machinery" does in a less user-friendly way (in my relatively
uninformed opinion).

And I also encourage better documenting the new machinery itself.  And
especially describing, for each such longstanding and useful user option, how to
get the same effect with the new, alternative machinery.