Re: [0/10] threads for emacs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [0/10] threads for emacs
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:39:59 -0600

>>>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden> writes:

Dmitry> I'm trying to improve GC (by making it generational at first), and it's
Dmitry> almost obvious that full-featured multithreading requires substantial
Dmitry> support from GC; our final goal might be a fully parallel GC performed
Dmitry> simultaneously by the all threads, or special GC thread(s) to perform
Dmitry> an incremental collection, or whatever else. Do you have any thoughts
Dmitry> about how the GC should be improved for the sake of threading support?

The current patch series isn't too interesting from the GC point of
view, I think, because only one thread runs Lisp at a time.

It would be interesting to run the GC concurrently with Lisp.  I think
the hard part here is ensuring that all GC-visible changes occur
atomically.  E.g., writing an untagged pointer to the heap would cause
problems.

This may already work "well enough".  It is hard to know for sure
though.  I think some static analysis would perhaps help.

Tom