Re: Movement commands and caps lock

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Movement commands and caps lock
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:27:20 -0400

> But if I do this same test in text mode I don't get any behaviour related to
> the selection and the result of C-h k C-b is:

> C-b runs the command backward-char

> Without the '(translated from C-S-b)' message that it shows in graphical
> mode.

IIUC, by "text mode" you don't mean M-x text-mode RET ubt you mean that
Emacs is running in a something like a Linux console or an xterm, right?
Then the difference is simply that the processing of caps-lock is done
by xterm so Emacs never gets to know that caps-lock is enabled.

> This behaviour does almost impossible any editing with caps lock enabled,
> and it is not coherent different behaviours in graphical or text modes.

IIRC the processing of caps lock is OS dependent, but assuming you're
running with an X11 display, then it might even depend on the exact kind
of "lock" you're using (I seem to remember that the behavior might
depend on things such as whether the key is a shift-lock or caps-lock).

        Stefan