Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 02:53:35 +0400

On 15.08.2012 17:59, Drew Adams wrote:
By default, "magic-space" searching should be OFF for both simple and regexp
search.  Each SPC you type should search for a single SPC, by default.  Simple.
No surprise.

Others have given reasons for the regexp case (+1).  For the simple-search case:
I do not think it is appropriate for users, especially newbies, to have to
figure out and use `C-q SPC' (WTF?) to search for a single SPC char.

I have had `isearch-forward-regexp' bound to C-s for about as long as I'm using Emacs (thanks to starter-kit.el), and I've never encountered a situation where the current default behavior caused a problem. I never even knew that SPC did something special until I read the doc yesterday. Still, logically, it doesn't make sense since the `-regexp' version is supposed to be fine-controlled by the user, and they can easily write the required regexp.

On the flip side, I've seen many times that less-technical users can be sloppy with the amount of whitespace between words. If the non-regexp version is supposed to be easy to use, then `search-whitespace-regexp' behavior might be quite useful there. And `fill-paragraph' behavior adds to that argument, too.