Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 06:25:08 +0400

On 16.08.2012 3:21, Drew Adams wrote:
On the flip side, I've seen many times that less-technical
users can be sloppy with the amount of whitespace between words.
If the non-regexp version is supposed to be easy to use, then
`search-whitespace-regexp' behavior might be quite useful there.

Less-technical users are often used to less-technical editors that do NOT try to
be so clever (er, that is, "easy to use").

Incremental search in Emacs is different enough from the search function in simple editors, I think, that doing things the same way is not very valuable.

Not every search (or even most searches?) by less-technical users is intended to
ignore additional whitespace.  Whitespace can matter to less-technical users
too.  And less-technical does not necessarily mean more sloppy, including about
whitespace between words.

Like I said, the amount of false positives is, in my experience, negligible. But it can prevent some false negatives, in some situations, for certain user expectations.