Re: font-lock-maximum-decoration should be 2 by default?

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: font-lock-maximum-decoration should be 2 by default?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:47:02 +0200

  >> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
  >> on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:50:56 -0700 wrote:

  >> > Yes, Emacs Dev concluded after many years that `t' is the
  >> > most appropriate default value.
  >>
  >> Interesting. I am curious of reasons for that. Cannot see one
  >> by myself, but I must be missing something.

  > Actually, the default has been `t' for as long as I can recall.  Eli has
said it
  > is since 20.1.  Stefan has conjectured that it is ever since the variable
has
  > existed.
  > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-10/msg00799.html

Apparently it is t from 1997
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/66833/match=font+lock+maximum+decoration

  > But these too might be of interest.  Suggestion: start with the last.  This
  > useful feature (font-lock levels) is apparently already on its way to the
trash
  > heap (its removal is marked `pending' for 24.2).  We will apparently soon
have
  > no choice in the matter - the behavior will be hard-coded as maximum
  > decoration.

That's funny. Probably the most subjective part of Emacs, fontification,
is left without even basic customization?

If that happens, every mode will try to reinvent its own font-lock
levels and implement its own user settings.  IMHO this is chaos and
clearly a regression.

Most of people agree on the basic fontification. Trouble comes for
higher levels. Could it be please reset to the default of 2?