Re: crash on MacOSX

From: Alp Aker
Subject: Re: crash on MacOSX
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 21:40:21 -0400

> This bug is not always reproducible when I debug it inside gdb.
[...]
> There are two ways to work around this bug.  One is to revert r109641
[...]
> I'm not sure if it is related to this patch directly.  Since, the
> other way is to compile nsfont.m with -g3 -O0.
[..]
> I tried ./configure --with-ns CC=clang LD=clang.  And then I don't see
> this problem.  It could be a compiler bug.

One problem with r109641 that *might* explain your observations is
that it introduced code that initialized a static string using a char
array that wasn't null terminated.  This would result in the string's
containing an unexpected number of extra characters (possibly
non-ascii, as well), but the number and identity of the unexpected
chars would vary between emacs instances. Compiling with -g3 -O0,
however, leads to the same extra chars appearing in the string across
different invocations of emacs, and when compiling with Clang the
string has only the expected characters.

This might not explain the exception you're seeing (there are likely
other issues with 109641; e.g., the #ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA portion of
ns_ascii_average_width is, I'm fairly sure, incorrect, but I haven't
sorted out yet what the correct thing for it to do is).  But please
try building 109677 and see if that fixes the problem for you.