RE: Whitespace cleanup

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Whitespace cleanup
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:44:14 -0700

> Elisp code almost invariably contains a mixture of tabs and spaces.
> Whenever I open a new elisp file, I almost always have to turn on
> whitespace-mode and guess what tab width, if any, makes it this
> mixture of tabs and spaces ident and align properly.
>
> Can we fix this at least for the elisp shipped with Emacs? It
> shouldn't be a big deal. All modern diff programs, including bzr's
> own[1] can ignore whitespace changes.

I believe this has been discussed before, but someone might correct me.  I
believe it was decided not to replace tabs by spaces and/or to require using
only spaces going forward.  (But I don't recall all the reasons.)

I, for one, would like to see the tabs replaced by spaces in the Lisp code that
is shipped.  It's not a big deal, but I invariably find myself later cleaning up
pieces in code of mine that might have parts originally copy+yanked from vanilla
code.

But like I say, not a big deal at all.
`C-x h M-x untabify', and you're done.