Re: Whitespace cleanup

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Whitespace cleanup
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:02:53 -0400

On 22 August 2012 11:44, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> I, for one, would like to see the tabs replaced by spaces in the Lisp code
> that
> is shipped.  It's not a big deal, but I invariably find myself later cleaning
> up
> pieces in code of mine that might have parts originally copy+yanked from
> vanilla
> code.
>
> But like I say, not a big deal at all.
> `C-x h M-x untabify', and you're done.

That only works after you figure out what the correct tab width should
have been to begin with.

On 22 August 2012 12:07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> If an Elisp file requires a tab-width different from 8 to be indented
> properly, that's a bug.

The indentation offset is rarely 8, so I guess tabs get inserted only
after 4 levels of indentation, creating a horrible mix.

Can we just run M-x whitespace-cleanup on all elisp shipped by Emacs,
since someone always misunderstands how to use tabs correctly? This
cleanup does some additional things like removing trailing spaces. I
thought the complaint against this is that we don't want to see
whitespace changes in diffs, but those can be hidden now.

On 22 August 2012 12:15, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Not really sure what you are proposing, but it sounds familiar...
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-05/msg00483.html

I'm proposing to not mix tabs and spaces, but since not everybody
understands why this is desirable, let's just run M-x
whitespace-cleanup instead.

- Jordi G. H.