Re: Whitespace cleanup

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Whitespace cleanup
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:16:32 -0400

> There is a lot of code out there besides' Emacs own. I have to keep
> changing my tab width to be able to read it all. Sometimes it's 8,
> usually it's 4, rarely it's 2 or 3, and if people are mixing tabs and
> spaces,

8 has been, is, and apparently always will be the standard, so please
complain to those idiots who use some other setting, not to those like
us who use the standard value.

> Tabs apparently are not a problem for you, but they are for me. If you
> don't care either way about tabs, you won't care if we get rid of tabs
> in the Emacs tree either assuming I can get bzr to grow the option to
> ignore whitespace in diffs and annotate, correct?

No.  We already have way too many cosmetic commits.

> Assuming I have write permissions to that directory. Sometimes I am
> reading the source files from a location my sysadmin installed them in.

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode (lambda () (setq tab-width 8)))

will solve it for you.  I haven't seen an Elisp file using another
tab-width yet.

> Look, obviously you guys think that nothing needs to be done. I do.
> I'm not asking anyone to do the work, but if I do that work, I just
> ask that you accept my work if you don't care either way. I care.

I'm really tired of resolving spurious conflicts due to cosmetic
changes, and have much better things to do with my time.
So, no, I'm firmly opposed to such a change.

        Stefan