Re: random doesn't feel very random

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: random doesn't feel very random
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:06:08 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     > Why would extra invocations of (random t) cause repetitive behavior?
>
> (random t) calculates a seed based on the current time.
> Unless it is done repeatedly in a very short time, that
> should make a different seed each time.

I had emacs play the same track after two starts. My emacs takes few
seconds to start.

It happened on Ubuntu 10.10 or Debian 6.0.

Does the function random not take into account the seconds when it's
seeded?
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing
himself.
    -- Leo Tolstoy

I am listening to "Plan B - She Said".