Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:34:58 +0300

> I'm OK with having two options, but the trouble is finding the right
> names: they need to have the right prefix.  I don't like
> re-search-whitespace-regexp, because the name seems to indicate that it
> affects re-search-forward the Lisp function, rather than the incremental
> regexp search user-level feature.  (Note that search-whitespace-regexp
> is similarly poorly named).
>
> Maybe isearch-spaces-regexp and isearch-regexp-spaces-regexp, with
> search-whitespace-regexp an obsolete alias for the latter?  Though
> isearch-regexp-spaces-regexp sounds a bit weird.

There are other variables that have the `search-' prefix instead of
`isearch-'.  I don't know why.  But when using the same naming convention
as is used in `search-ring' and `regexp-search-ring', or in
`search-ring-max' and `regexp-search-ring-max', or in
`search-ring-yank-pointer' and `regexp-search-ring-yank-pointer' etc.
then the variable names would be:
`search-whitespace-regexp' and `regexp-search-whitespace-regexp'.
I have no opinion about the `isearch-' prefix but at least
these names will be consistent with other search variable names.