Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:40:23 +0800

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> The following patch just echoes what was being said
> in this discussion so far.  Please review it and decide
> what to do next.

Thanks, this mostly looks good.  Some comments:

- search-whitespace should not be a defcustom, since it is altered by
  commands like isearch-toggle-whitespace.  Users can customize whether
  to enable the feature by default setting search-whitespace-regexp to
  either nil or a regexp.  I think search-whitespace should be renamed
  to something more accurate like isearch-lax-space-match, and made into
  a defvar.

- Don't call the functions whitespace-search-forward; the whitespace-
  prefix should be reserved for whitespace.el.  Call it something like
  isearch-forward-lax-space-match.

- Instead of [whitespace matching enabled/disabled], I suggest the
  messages [strict space matching] and [lax space matching].

Also, I guess it won't be difficult to make M-s SPC work for regexp
search too, by making it change search-spaces-regexp.  This can be left
for later.