Re: Windows: Emacs 24.1 binary size vs 24.2 binary size

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows: Emacs 24.1 binary size vs 24.2 binary size
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 17:50:02 +0300

> Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 08:21:14 -0600
> From: Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> On 8/28/2012 8:20 PM, Christoph Scholtes wrote:
> > I just built the latest 24.2 release on Windows and I noticed a
> > significant difference in the binary size of emacs.exe between version
> > 24.1 and 24.2. Was there any change that would explain the difference?
> >
> > emacs.exe (24.1): 11,343,408 bytes
> > emacs.exe (24.2):  9,881,136 bytes
> >
> > Both versions were compiled with gcc 4.6.2
>
> I'd like to have an answer just in case anybody else notices after I
> upload the release build. Any ideas?

I don't have a stripped binary to compare with your numbers.  I do see
a similar decrease in the size of the un-stripped emacs.exe, but I
cannot find any explanation for that.  The size of temacs.exe is
almost identical between the 2 versions, which seems to point to Lisp,
or to data structures built by Emacs during loadup/dump process.
However, loadup.el saw no changes between the 2 versions, and
loaddefs.el is identical modulo time stamps of the files it records.
And I cannot spot anything pertinent, neither in src/ChangeLog nor in
lisp/ChangeLog.

So I have no idea what could explain the 1.6MB decrease in the exe
size.

The memory footprint of "emacs -Q" is 0.7MB _larger_ with Emacs 24.2
than it is with 24.1, FWIW.