function for spell checking of strings

From: Stefan Schlee
Subject: function for spell checking of strings
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!

The question I'd like to ask, seems to be somewhere between the topics covered by "address@hidden" and "address@hidden"

I have already posted it on "address@hidden"  but did not get a working answer.  Sorry for cross-posting, but some of you might not be watching "address@hidden".

Here is the question:

I want to look up a string in one of the dictionaries accessible from emacs.  The string is not contained in a buffer (in which case I would use `ispell-word´) but is only referred to by a variable in my elisp code.  There used to be a function 'spell-string' but the spell-packages is obsoleted and the build in help system refers me to 'ispell'.  But I cannot find an equivalent function in the 'ispell' package.  Does any one know of a solution?

I am using Emacs version 23.2.1.

Thank you in advance, Stefan