Re: Default for the envelope From in smtpmail.el

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Default for the envelope From in smtpmail.el
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:30:37 +0900

Nix writes:

 > Yes. As seen above, you can do it yourself, but you shouldn't need to,
 > not really: like gnus-posting-styles, this should be something Gnus (or
 > message mode) does for you.

That would suck. :-)  Seriously, I don't use Gnus, and I don't always
use message mode.  It's not like this kind of facility is Gnus-specific.

Emacs should do it.  This is something Python (and I suppose Perl,
Ruby, et al) does pretty well.  It's one thing that XEmacs was aiming
for (and missed badly, in my opinion) in splitting out the packages.

I understand why in practice every app has to reinvent these
facilities for itself (this kind of refactoring is not amazingly fun
work and all the benefit goes to third parties), but it's a shame.

Steve