Re: threads and kill-buffer

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: threads and kill-buffer
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 04:00:19 +0900

Tom Tromey writes:

 > I have been thinking about it and the only issue I see is that,
 > since it introduces a new buffer state,

Not one that's visible to Lisp.  Why would it be?

 > we would have to decide what buffer-live-p returns for a buffer
 > that is killed-but-not-yet-dead.

nil.  If a thread calls buffer-live-p, that means it's prepared to
recover if b-l-p returns nil.

I suppose you're thinking that the thread might want to snarf the data
before the memory gets reallocated or something like that, but if
other threads are killing your buffers, who knows what they might be
doing to the contents?  Better to just give up.