Re: `add-face'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `add-face'
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:41:55 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> As for the idea, it sounds good in principle.  I think either
> `add-face-text-property' or `face-add-text-property' would be a better
> name.

Yeah, `add-face-text-property' sounds nice.

> Is it really necessary to modify `add-text-properties' to get this work,
> though?  It seems to me that next-single-property-change gives you
> enough information to do the job without changing the internals.

I was mainly thinking about speed.  shr.el, for instance, adds a lot of
faces, and it needs all the help it can get to speed stuff up.  For
larger HTML documents it's too slow now, and this more complex way of
adding faces won't help.

And the changes are pretty minimal, and may be generally useful.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen