Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-24 r108143: run-hooks-with-args-*

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-24 r108143: run-hooks-with-args-* do fixes (bug#12393)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 02:49:13 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> +If the value of HOOK is nil, this function returns nil.
>
> That seems redundant, since if the hook is nil, all the functions on the
> hook return nil.

No harm in being explicit though? Since the rest of the doc begins "if
HOOK has a non-nil value..." and otherwise says nothing about HOOK == nil.

>> -the given arguments and its return value is returned.
>> +the given arguments.  Then we return nil if the function returns nil,
>> +and t if it returns non-nil.
>
> Let's not force ourselves to return t.  IOW `non-nil' would be better.

I thought about that, but wanted to make it clear that we do not return
the same non-nil value as the function. That was what the bug report was
about.

(Althought that is how it behaved until 24.1, when it was changed with
no annoucement and no doc update.)