Re: Feature freeze on October 1

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature freeze on October 1
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:34:31 -0400

>> I assume it's done in the coding-system's decoding code.
> But that doesn't get run (or at least not always) when a character is
> typed on the keyboard, does it?

Coding-system decoding is sometimes applied to keyboard events
(e.g. under ttys) but not always, indeed.

> E.g., on MS-Windows characters are read directly in Unicode when
> possible.  I'm sure Emacs does something like that on X as well.

Indeed, and that should be just fine, there's no need for additional
unification if we already have a Unicode char.

> So it looks like some un-unified characters can still sneak into the
> buffer.

The un-unified chars are those outside of Unicode, so it shouldn't be
an issue.

>> so maybe all it takes is to remove the maybe_unify_char thingy?
> Not sure that's all.  I hope Handa-san could outline the plan for
> attacking this problem, then maybe I could work on at least part of
> that, if not all of it.

Yup.

        Stefan