Re: PATCH: num3-mode for highlighting groups of digits in long numbers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PATCH: num3-mode for highlighting groups of digits in long numbers
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 21:07:18 -0400

>>> This time I bring to you a patch adding num3-mode which helps read long
>>> numbers by alternating highlighting of group of digits in a long
>>> number, so for instance something like:
>> Looks nice, thanks.  Tho I'd rather add it to GNU ELPA than to
>> Emacs proper.
> Obviously, I would love to have it in Emacs, especially since it's tiny
> and I strongly believe it could benefit everyone by turning it on by
> default, but I could settle for a package if no one wants it in
> Emacs. ;)

I'm moving in the direction of keeping in Emacs only the
"infrastructure" packages and leaving most of the end-user packages in
GNU ELPA.

Note that it doesn't necessarily mean it won't be included in Emacs.
I hope that by Emacs-25, the Emacs tarball will be made up of Emacs
proper plus some bundled ELPA packages so we can freely move packages to
ELPA (e.g. for Gnus and Org).

> However, I could not figure out how would I go about preparing a package
> to go there.  Emacswiki points to a overly-long thread with some
> pointers about policy, but no steps to get a package there.

For single-file packages, you just need to file to be structured
correctly (try C-u M-x checkdoc-current-buffer) and have "Version:"
and "Maintainer:" headers at the beginning.

Also the packages need to have their copyright paperwork in order, just
like code included with Emacs, so we can easily move code between
the two.

        Stefan