Re: policy, recommendations regarding `cl-*'

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: policy, recommendations regarding `cl-*'
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:37:50 +0800

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think, as long as you need to support versions of Emacs without
>> cl-lib, just leave the code as it was, i.e. use 'loop' in the above
>> example.
>
> 1. That's certainly what I am doing for now, at least.  But deprecation
> typically expresses an intention to later desupport.  My question is really
> what
> is recommended for supporting multiple Emacs releases when `loop' etc. are no
> longer supported.

Deprecation generally means the feature will not be removed until the
old versions are well and truely gone.  When the feature is about to be
removed, you are sure to hear about it here, or by reading an
announcement in etc/NEWS.  At that time, you will probably want to clean
out the cruft to support long since unused versions of Emacs from your code.