Issue connecting Emacs --daemon to D-BUS

From: joakim
Subject: Issue connecting Emacs --daemon to D-BUS
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:42:13 +0200

This will be a rather vague problem description, sorry.

I'm trying to start using Emacs in its daemonic form:
emacs --daemon

The idea is that since the Gnome 3 gnome-shell sometimes crashes several times a
day for me, my emacs will survive and I can simply reconnect with
emacsclient once gnome-shell is up again.

Since I want my emacs to start as a service daemon when the machine
boots, there is no dbus or gnome session to connect to yet. I want to
attach to dbus and gnome once the gui session is started.

for the gnome keyring I can do this:
m-x setenv SSH_AUTH_SOCK RET /run/user/joakim/keyring-hzCXZo/ssh RET

where the value is fetched from a shell started within the login
session. I can thus unlock the keyring in gnome and use it in emacs.

I expect to be able to do the same for dbus, but it doesnt quite work:

m-x setevn DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS RET
unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-XpKHIj1IpU,guid=5a7b419d5e50e78fe35e6ccf0005787a
RET

I still get:

ELISP> (dbus-init-bus :session)
*** Eval error ***  D-Bus error: "No connection to bus", :session

And here somewhere is my actuall issue: "No connection to bus" can be
returned in several places in dbusbind.c, so I cant really debug which
of the checks are triggered.

(dbus-init-bus :system) seems to work and return 2.
--
Joakim Verona