Re: inclusion of emacs-w3m

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: inclusion of emacs-w3m
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:26:45 +0900

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
 > Tekk <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Do you see it in modern pages though? general consensus for years has
 > > been to avoid using tables for handling the presentation structure.
 >
 > That must be a consensus amongst people who don't do much web design.
 > :-)

That's true.  But it's also a consensus among people who do so much
web design that they need to chase away customers with sky-high prices
that mortal managers (and their employers) can't afford to pay.  So we
rarely see their products.

Unfortunately, both are far outnumbered by wage slaves in the middle
who never heard of, let alone use, the "float" property.

 > Until then, <table> is where it's at.

I wish I could contest that.  But even some of the designers I know
who do know better say that they are slaves to their design tools for
their bread and butter.  Few clients are willing to pay for the time
it takes to do CSS Zen Garden work, even when it's provably more
usable.  "Everybody I know uses IE at 1024x768 so who cares if it's
even readable in anything else?" :-(