Re: inclusion of emacs-w3m

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: inclusion of emacs-w3m
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:49:20 +0200

() Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
() Thu, 27 Sep 2012 23:31:00 +0200

   > Don't forget decent table rendering (especially, nested tables),
   > one of w3m's distinguishing features.

   shr.el renders tables.

   > So, maybe another week or two for the Inspired One...  who will it
   > be?

   The algorithm is rather slow for deeply nested tables, though.  It
   basically does a search of the entire "table space" to find the best
   layout, and that's not the most efficient way to do it.

Sorry, i don't quite follow -- are you talking about the algorithm in
shr.el or the one in w3m?  I get the impression (being mostly ignorant
re table-layout algorithms in general and too lazy at the moment to look
at source code) that w3m's is somewhat directed.  In STORY.html, the w3m
author characterizes it as "fair", rather than "perfect", so perhaps its
heuristics can be tweaked (further) to better adapt it to an Emacs Lisp
implementation, if need be.  If only Someone would muster a try...

[-: It's now September.  All you (under)grad students looking to Do
    Something Interesting -- what are you waiting for?!  :-]

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen ..................................... GPG key: 4C807502
.                  NB: ttn at glug dot org is not me                   .