Re: Elisp native profiler

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp native profiler
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 08:40:36 -0400

> No, because C-level function calls like Fvertical_motion could never been
> listed in backtrace_list.  That's why byte-code often appears at top in a
> profiling result.

If Fvertical_motion is often called directly from C, we can make it so
that this function registers itself explicitly on backtrace_list, like
we do with redisplay_internal.

> How do you think about inserting a backtrace building code (like
> Ffuncall does) into DEFUN macro expansion if specified so in configure
> script, for example?  This could be fully portable, but involves
> some overhead.

I'd rather not force the user to choose at compile-time, so instead I'd
like to always add this overhead, but only at those places where it's
cheap and useful, because the function does a fair bit of work.

        Stefan