Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:48:39 -0400

>> Would be better to increase the number of lines to 24 or 32
>> or any other round number.
> Instead of guessing, I'd suggest a small research: collect all the
> backtraces reported to the bug tracker, and build the historgram of
> their sizes.  Then decide based on that.
> I would also suggest some heuristics, e.g. if the crash is in GC, the
> number will have to be much larger.

I really dislike the idea of writing those backtraces into a file (when
RMS mentioned it, I was shocked), but the more it goes, the more I think
it would make sense for the non-ENABLE_CHECKING builds.  Tho maybe just
not showing the backtraces at all would work just as well in those cases.

I still would prefer going back to having the easserts in macros rather
than in functions (so that the assertion itself immediately gives you
the line-number, without having to go through the addr2line rigmarole).

        Stefan