Re: CEDET merge

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:55:59 +0200

David Engster writes:
> Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> the other way round. I think I should be able to have our 'to-emacs'
>>> branch ready till October 1st, which could then be merged in.
>>
>> This merge is important, yes.  Please let us know if you can't make it
>> for October 1st.
>
> Please do not commit this patch yet, since it definitely needs some
> further testing. My plan is to check the code with our test suite, which
> will need a few tweaks first to work with stock Emacs, though.

I've checked the new code base with our test suite and fixed a bunch of
stuff. Everything's working now except for a few minor things, so I
think the branch is now ready for merging.

You can obtain a patch file from our 'to-emacs' branch (for details see
my last mail), but I've also attached it to this message so everyone can
check it easily. There's no ChangeLog yet, so if you want to check the
logs you still need our 'to-emacs' branch.

Please take a look at the issues I raised in my previous mail, since
they still apply (esp. regarding checking for papers).

Additionally, I've also regenerated the Elisp parsers from the updated
grammar files. This converted some more explicit copyright ranges like

Copyright (C) 2002-2004, 2007, 2010-2012  Free Software Foundation, Inc

to a simple range like this

Copyright (C) 2002-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Is this acceptable? Also, it removed the 'Author: David Ponce' line from
cedet/semantic/grammar.el, but I think it didn't make sense anyway since
it is a generated file (from admin/grammars/grammar.wy, where he's still
credited).

I left the grammars and parser generator in admin/grammars for now, but
IMO the generator bovine-grammar.el and wisent-grammar.el should
eventually be moved to their proper locations underneath lisp/. The main
grammar generation is already in lisp/semantic/grammar.el and hence was
in Emacs all the time; the two files above are just refinements for the
two different grammar styles.

-David