Re: question about pop-to-buffer

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: question about pop-to-buffer
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:23:38 +0200

> Also, I have noticed that window-right/left can also handle vertical
> splitting (I.e I was looking for something like window-above/bottom and
> I discover that window-right/left do this).
> Maybe that can be documented somewhere?

No, and I probably should have called them window--right and
window--left, but I faintly recall having called them from somewhere
outside window.el.  These functions are only useful to avoid writing

  (and window (window-parent window) (window-next-sibling window)))

which is needed for technical reasons because usually the minibuffer
window is the "sibling" of the frame's root window and the window tree
functions should not work on the minibuffer window.  Anyone interested
finds the rationale in the comment preceding `window-right'.

The functions you are interested in are either

`window-next-sibling' and `window-prev-sibling' plus `window-combined-p'
  where the latter is needed to find out whether any such sibling is
  horizontally or vertically aligned - an information `window-right' and
  `window-left' won't give you anyway, or

`window-in-direction'.

If you tell me more precisely how you want to use them, I can provide
more information.

martin