Re: package.el changes before the feature freeze

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: package.el changes before the feature freeze
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:11:46 +0800

Daniel Hackney <address@hidden> writes:

> Not all of those features will be done soon, but much of the
> refactored base (using `defstruct' for package descriptors instead of
> the variety of `cons'ed vectors) is in place. Could I get a few extra
> days to get this tested?

How much time are you asking for?  I'm wary of big changes to package.el
(where backward incompatibilities can cause huge headaches) coming out
of the blue right before a feature freeze.

I took a look at your code, but the changes are too pervasive to easily
review, and trying to load the code caused M-x list-packages to spin for
a long time followed by

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function cl-adjoin)
  cl-adjoin(((debbugs 0 3) "installed" "SOAP library to access debbugs
servers") nil :key car)
  package-menu--generate(nil t)
  list-packages(nil)
  call-interactively(list-packages record nil)

I have the debbugs library installed, so I'm guessing your changes screw
up existing package installations somehow.  Have you altered the on-disk
format of installed packages (such as directory layout, the contents of
archive-contents, etc.)?  If so, I don't think it's suitable for 24.3.

Maybe you should split off some of the smaller parts of your altered
package.el and commit those separately, saving the rest for post-24.3.