Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged "release_7.9.2" in Org's Git repo.
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 08:19:35 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> ChangeLog entries that are not applicable (as already mentioned):
>
> +    * org.texi: Include "org-version.inc" instead of
> +    "git-describe.texi".
> +
> +   * org.texi: Remove @set for VERSION and DATE and do an @include
> +   git-describe.texi instead.

Yep, already done.

> Not relevant since Paul already did it 2012-09-01:
>
> +   * org-id.el: Do not use (random t), we just want a new random
> +   number, not a re-seeding of the PRNG for which (random t) doesn't
> +   provide enough entropy anyway.  Even if (random) would always
> +   produce the same sequence, the other components going into the MD5
> +   hash ensure that the result will be unique.

Deleted, thanks.

> No ChangeLog entries:
> === modified file 'etc/org/OrgOdtContentTemplate.xml'
> === modified file 'etc/org/OrgOdtStyles.xml'
> === modified file 'etc/refcards/orgcard.tex'

I added a ChangeLog entry.

> It's weird to see this as a constant (rather than something related to
> the installation prefix), since it won't be correct for many
> installations (but I did not check how it is actually used):
>
> ;;;###autoload
> (defconst org-odt-data-dir "/usr/share/emacs/etc/org"
>   "The location of ODT styles.")

This is not only weird, this is wrong.  I fixed this in Org,
this will be part of the next bugfix sync with Emacs.

> Also, have you considered having a separate org-loaddefs.el, for
> autoloads that are not relevant until org.el is loaded?

Yes, I can how loaddefs.el could benefit from an org-loaddefs.el.

I see how I can generate a separate org-loaddefs.el (and we do this
already for people who install Org separately, the file is called
org-install.el) but I don't see how I can prevent Emacs from adding
the same autoloaded functions in loaddefs.el.

I've had a look at the way Gnus does this.

I would expect all entries in gnus-load.el would not be in Emacs
loaddefs.el -- but eg gnus-article-outlook-deuglify-article is.
(Or maybe this is due to my Git Gnus repo not being up to date
enough).

Thanks for any guidance on this!

--
 Bastien