Re: Issue connecting Emacs --daemon to D-BUS

From: andres . ramirez
Subject: Re: Issue connecting Emacs --daemon to D-BUS
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 00:38:05 -0500

Hi Joakim.

From a Discussion with Michael Albinus.

This is what works for me. Using the emacs trunk:

- You start the daemon as usual via crontab:

  @reboot /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs --quick --eval \(progn\ \(setq\
server-name\ \"test\"\)\ \) --daemon

- In your emacsclient call, you hand over $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS via
  the variable `my-dbus-address':

  emacsclient -s test -c -e \(setq\ my-dbus-address\
\"$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS\"\)

  Instead of expanding $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS you could use any
  address string, once you know it.

- In your Emacs daemon, you can now apply the following code:

  (progn
    (require 'notifications)
    (dbus-init-bus my-dbus-address)
    (notifications-notify
     :bus my-dbus-address
     :title "nick"
     :body "message"
     :app-icon
"/usr/share/notify-osd/icons/gnome/scalable/status/notification-message-im.svg"
     :urgency 'low))

The crucial point is calling `dbus-init-bus' and using the bus address
as argument of `notifications-notify'. `dbus-init-bus' must be called
only once for a new address, but it doesn't hurt when you call it
always. Btw, there was a subtle bug in `dbus-init-bus', which took me so
long to test ...

Now your notifications shall be visible, wherever you call emacsclient
from. Even if you stop your session, and restart it, it shall work,
because the new D-Bus session bus will be found.