Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110342: Count overruns when prof

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110342: Count overruns when profiling; change units to ns.
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:00:13 -0700

On 10/02/2012 02:17 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Does getitimer report correct values for reasonable intervals, though?

No, I'm afraid it does the same thing for larger intervals that it
does for tiny ones.  That is, it doesn't tell you the interval
that is actually used.

> We could call clock_gettime once in 10 or 100 samples, say.

Why bother?  Call it once at the start of the run, and
once at the end.  That's enough to give us an average.

> showing a vague "number of samples" is hardly useful enough.

It'd be easy to replace "CPU samples" with something like
"CPU samples (10 ms)", to give users a feel for what
the nominal sample size is.  And we can simply reset the
counters to zero in the rare cases where the user changes
the sampling interval, so that we needn't worry about
mixing interval sizes in the statistics.