Re: Elisp native profiler

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp native profiler
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:22:59 -0400

>> That's weird, tho.  On my lowly fit-pc2, the overhead was just 1% in
>> my test.  Of course, maybe the setitimer ended up firing at a much
>> slower rate?
> Perhaps your system doesn't have a high precision timer, so the kernel
> falls back to the jiffies timer (which typically runs at 100Hz,
> depending on kernel config).

Could be.  Tho a Fit-PC2 seems to be sufficiently recent to have
a high-precision timer (it's basically like the early Atom netbooks with
the dreaded GPU (gma500) that's sold by Intel but isn't supported by the
Xorg intel driver).  At least dmesg includes "HPET: 3 timers in total,
0 timers will be used for per-cpu timer".

        Stefan