Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 02:59:07 +0200

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> But for the lexical-binding setting, it seems less obvious how to handle
> such a switch (other than start warning any file which doesn't set it
> explicitly to t or nil, and after a while change the default, and after
> yet another while remove the warning, the whole process taking probably
> more than 10 years).  Any suggestion would be welcome.

Why can't we set lexical-binding from .dir-locals, so it would
automatically "convert" all the lisp packages in the sources (meaning,
we will soon discover the ones that break and we can protect them with
-*- lexical-binding: nil -*-).

That has the advantadge that it wouldn't impact third-party code
unless the maintainters chose to add lexical-bindings to their
.dir-locals or their files.

    Juanma