Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 19:12:40 +0200

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

>> variables (byte-compile-dynamic, generated-autoload-file,
>> no-byte-compile, no-update-autoloads, lexical-binding itself) through
>> the same mechanism.
>
> You need to make sure that such settings are copied together with the
> file when installing it somewhere else.

Yes, and no, I think. If you're copying an entire project, presumably
you would copy any .dir-locals (or .compilation-whatever-its-name).

But, if you're copying an elisp file to fork it or add it to another
project, many of these variables could change value easily, even
lexical-binding if you're adding it to a back-compatible package.
There's nothing really specific to a given elisp file in the
assignation of autoload file, or whether update autoloads or not, for
example; that's more likely project-specific. Some properties are on
the fence, like no-byte-compile (which usually depends more on the
size of the file that anything else) .

That it's not to say that my idea was particulary good, but if you
want, as Stefan wanted, to get rid of marking individually each file
for a given property, either you change the default (and resort to
marking the hopefully fewer files that so require it), or you add
metada externally to the files.

  Juanma