Re: question about macro `minibuffer-with-setup-hook', byte-compilation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: question about macro `minibuffer-with-setup-hook', byte-compilation
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 16:21:19 -0400

>> > I byte-compile foo.el in an Emacs version that does not have macro
>> > `minibuffer-with-setup-hook',
>> So you get a .elc file that doesn't work.
>> Don't do that.  It's true of *all* macros, because they are run during
>> compilation, so if they're not present during compilation
>> you're screwed.
> Could you please explain what I am seeing, e.g., that the macro is
> defined at runtime and the byte-code invokes it at runtime, but an
> invalid function error is raised.  Thx.

The byte-compiler issued a warning like "function
minibuffer-with-setup-hook is not known to be defined".  In reality what
it means is "minibuffer-with-setup-hook is not defined as a function nor
as a macro, so I'll assume it's a function that will be suitably defined
at run-time, since if it were a macro I'd need the macro's definition to
be able to compile the code".

        Stefan