Re: Problems with defcustom setter functions during byte-compile

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Problems with defcustom setter functions during byte-compile
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 22:25:20 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> (defcustom srecode-map-load-path
>>    [... stuff snipped ...]
>>   :set 'srecode-map-load-path-set)
>> The :set function `srecode-map-load-path-set' is called as soon as this
>> file is loaded.
>
> Actually, when the defcustom is executed, the it's the initializer
> that's called, and it just so happens that the default initializer in
> turn calls the setter.
> So you should be able to work around this problem by adding ":initialize
> #'custom-initialize-default".

Nifty. I didn't know that feature. And while it works as advertised, the
SRecode unit tests now fail. I guess that `srecode-map-load-path-set'
(which calls `srecode-map-update-map') really must be called when
srecode/map is loaded, it just shouldn't happen during byte-compilation...

Anyway, I guess that's more a fault on our side. At least for know I
"solved" this issue by simply setting `srecode-map-load-path' to nil
during byte-compilation.

-David