RE: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.1
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 23:41:21 +0200

Feedback inserted below:

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 10:10:38 +0200
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.1
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden; address@hidden
>
> > From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> > CC: "address@hidden"
> > <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:18:53 +0200
> >
> > Thank you Eli for your kind answer. I tried it with the mingw32-make a link to which you have sent to me. It is correct that it does not use MSYS paths like /c/Programme/GNU/installation/cedet-install/cedet/lisp/cedet/loaddefs.el, but the same kind of path that pwd -W outputs, i.e. c:/Programme/GNU/installation/cedet-install/cedet/lisp/cedet/loaddefs.el for the same file. EMACS is supposed to understand that kind of path. However that still does not work:
>
> My crystal ball says that pwd is an MSYS program. IOW, you still have
> MSYS's /bin directory on your general PATH,

Your crystal ball is perfectly correct

> and those MSYS tools,
> especially Bash, are being invoked by the MinGW Make.
>
> If you are invoking Make from the MSYS Bash console window, don't;
> invoke it from a regular cmd window instead.

I tried both actually, but, true, MSYS's /bin was in the PATH in both cases

> If you added MSYS's /bin
> directory to your PATH such that even the cmd window gets that PATH,
> edit your environment variables and remove the MSYS /bin directory
> from the PATH. Then these problems will go away, and you will be
> faced only with real problems: the Unixy features used by the Makefile
> that don't work on Windows. These you will have to solve, but at
> least you will be fighting known issues.

Well, call this the "real problems" if you like, I am slightly sceptical on what the real problem really is, most Makefiles I have seen in my life are delegating some file manipulation tasks to some bash shell. Even the documentation of Make is most of the time doing this assumption --- e.g. see those `rm ...' in the documentation of `clean' targets.

The reason why so is that GNU make may have lots of thing in its sleeve, but, AFAIK, it does not have builtins to do basical file manipation functions. So it has to resort to some shell call, most of the time Bash.

In contrast to GNU make, ant has the  filterset, delete, mkdir, and copy tasks. So one does not need to delegate those basic things to any shell, and build.xml files are made more portable this way.

Considering CEDET I tried what you said, I wrote an MSDOS batch file with this content (the first line ensures that I have both mingw32-make and emacs in the PATH, but no more :

SET PATH=c:\msys\1.0\mingw\bin;c:\Programme\GNU\emacs-24.1\bin
SET RM=DEL

CD cedet
mingw32-make

CD ..

and that failed quite soon with this output: