Re: Defining HAVE_MOUSE on Cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Defining HAVE_MOUSE on Cygwin
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 16:16:05 +0200

> Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 08:18:24 -0400
> From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> >> +## Always build with mouse support on Cygwin
> >> +if test "$opsys" = "cygwin" && test "$window_system" = "none"; then
> >> +  AC_DEFINE(HAVE_MOUSE, 1, [Define if you have mouse support.])
> >> +fi
> >> +
> >>    AH_TOP([/* GNU Emacs site configuration template file.
> >>
> >>    Copyright (C) 1988, 1993-1994, 1999-2002, 2004-2012
> >
> > How will this work?  HAVE_MOUSE on a console requires mouse-support
> > infrastructure.  AFAIK, we only have one such infrastructure: GPM.  Is
> > that available on Cygwin?  If not, how will the mouse gestures be made
> > known to Emacs in this build?
>
> No, GPM is not available on Cygwin.  But one can still get rudimentary
> mouse support in Emacs by turning on xterm-mouse-mode, provided the
> terminal is xterm compatible.  And the standard Cygwin terminal is xterm
> compatible, i.e., it sends the standard xterm mouse escape sequences.

Cannot Cygwin Emacs be invoked from the cmd window, or from a terminal
that does not support xterm-mouse sequences?  If it can, what happens
then if you build emacs-nox that way?

To tell the truth, I'm a bit nervous about this change.  Code
conditioned by HAVE_MOUSE makes all kinds of assumptions, which I'm
not sure are true when xterm-mouse is the agent.  I will have to
review that code to have an pinion I can defend.

But if that works, my fears notwithstanding, why confine this to
Cygwin?  If we believe that emacs-nox will always run on a
mouse-capable terminal, let's turn on HAVE_MOUSE in all Posix builds.

P.S.  Any idea why that user couldn't run Emacs compiled with X using
the -nw switch?