Re: CEDET merge

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 22:50:11 +0200

Chong Yidong writes:
> David Engster <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> wisent-grammar.el would be renamed to lisp/cedet/semantic/wisent/grammar.el
>> bovine-grammar.el to lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/grammar.el
>
> Done, and the appropriate provide statements and autoload cookies added.

Thanks. I forgot one thing: For generating a parser, Semantic must be
enabled. That means, if a user just loads a grammar and hits C-c C-c
without Semantic being enabled, he'll get a "bad input grammar"
error. We have actually the same problem with Srecode templates (see Bug
#9968).

I think it is clearly not a good idea to simply enable Semantic globally
in this case. Instead, we could enable it only for the current buffer by
putting

  (unless semantic-mode
    (require 'semantic)
    (semantic-new-buffer-fcn))

into bovine/wisent-grammar-mode and srecode-template-mode. I think this
should always work. Eric, please correct me if I'm wrong.

>> I guess the functions `wisent-make-parsers' and `bovine-make-parsers'
>> and the variables they need could be put in a new file which stays in
>> admin/grammars, since you've added them specifically for the parser
>> generation in Emacs trunk.
>
> I think we can leave them in those files for now, until we fix the build
> system to generate the parsers during the Emacs build process.

OK.

> By the way, could you or Eric kindly write up a NEWS entry briefly
> describing the major changes to CEDET since CEDET-1.0 / Emacs-24.2?

Sure. We have a NEWS file for the CEDET 1.1 release, so we just have to
extract the relevant portions from there.

-David