Re: The Emacs Calculator and calendar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: The Emacs Calculator and calendar
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 23:37:35 -0400

    Good point.  So, as I understand it, the case you're worried
    about is a source where the author's practice is something
    like the following:

       This book uses the Gregorian calendar for dates from 14
       September 1752 onwards, and the Julian calendar starting
       on January 1 for dates before that.  The calendar is not
       otherwise indicated.

This is not the only case I am concerned with.  Using the
Julian calendar with years starting with some other date
is also a possibility we might want to handle.  It is just a matter
of what is useful.

      "For the purposes of this book, all dates are given using
       the modern Gregorian calendar unless specifically
       followed by the O.S. designation."

This book doesn't need such support.  That doesn't
say anything about the issue, though.

      "In this book Continental dates in the period 1582-1752
       can generally be assumed to be given according to the
       Gregorian system, and British (and American) dates of the
       period according to the Julian system, but with the year
       in all cases deemed to begin on 1 January, not 25 March.

The very feature you discuss (quoted above) could be useful for this
book.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation