Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:31:01 +0200

> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:36:21 -0700
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
>
> I wrote a bit of code to handle Windows paths in being given to
> read-file-name in a Cygwin Emacs --- it's just a simple
> file-name-handler-alist entry that overrides substitute-in-file-name
> for Windows paths to yield the corresponding Cygwin path.

I'm not sure I understand the use case.  Are you talking about a user
who wants to feed a Cygwin Emacs with a native Windows style file
name?  Why would she want to do that?

I could understand a different use case: when a native Windows program
invoked by a Cygwin Emacs returns Windows style file names.  But for
that, read-file-name is not the place to add support for this.